british British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN HMT Dromio [+1939]
report an error
nationality british
purpose war (prev. fishing)
type minesweeper (ex-trawler)
propulsion steam
date built 1929
live live
weight (tons) 380  grt
dimensions 42.98 x 7.77 x 4.3 m
material steel
engine Steam triple expansion by Amos & Smith & Co Ltd. Hull, 1 single boiler, 1 screw
armament listed as fitted with 1 x 6 pounder stern deck gun, however, 12 pdr. 12 cwt. shells dated 1917 & 1939 recovered by divers
power 129  n.h.p.
speed 10.8  knots
yard no. 528
IMO/Off. no. 160859
call sign
about the loss
cause lost collision
date lost 22/12/1939  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties 0
about people
Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
engine by
Amos & Smith, Ltd., Hull
last owner
[1]British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London
HMT Dromio [+1939]
period 1939 ~ 1939
IMO/Off. no.: 160859
call sign: 
prev. owners
[2]Hull Northern Fishing Co. Ltd. - Hellyer Bros Ltd. - Hellyer Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Hull
FV Dromio (H94)
period 1929 ~ 1939
captain Lt. Cdr. George Dibley Rnr
no. of crew 17
about the wreck
status hull breaking down
depth (m.) 46 max. / 37 min. (m)
orientation 125°
position on seabed to port
visibility average
current normal
sea bed hard ground
protected no
war grave no
 Racey Carl, A Century of Steamship Losses
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 27/08/2008
last update Racey Carl
last update 05/01/2012
Lettens Jan01/10/2009
latitudeUK hydro member
longitudeUK hydro member
AISUK hydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
  The Wreck today  

Lettens Jan01/10/2009

UK hydro member
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert wreck site info
copyright: Racey Carl
 copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl 
 copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Scarborough Maritime Heritage Centre , George Scales Maritime Photographs 
 copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl 
 copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Racey Carl copyright: Mally Jenkinson 
 copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
insert new picture
  Hydrographic Service UK  
Racey Carl24/02/2009The Hull trawler DROMIO, owned by Hellyer Brothers of St. Andrews Dock, sank in the North sea after colliding with the Italian merchant steamer VALENTINO (also reported as VALDARNO) . After the collision the 17 crew were taken on board the Italian ship but were later transferred to the trawler COLONIO which put them ashore at a North East port. The DROMIO was taken in tow but sank.

The DROMIO was a vessel of 143 tons net, and was built in 1929 at Beverley. On the 17/12/1939 she was one of 5 Hull trawlers that, in a convoy homeward bound from the northern fishing grounds, was attacked by German aircraft off the east coast.
In spite of the intensive onslaught of two Nazi bombers, that bombed and machine-gunned the trawlers from 500 feet, she and the other vessels in the convoy escaped undamaged and without injury. The attack lasted 35 minutes and one of the trawler men said afterwards it had taken him as near death as he ever wanted to be.
ref. used: 
 Racey Carl, A Century of Steamship Losses
Racey Carl05/01/2012HMT DROMIO, bound for the Arctic fishing grounds, left harbour on Thursday, 22 December 1939, with Lt. Cdr. George Dibley RNR in command. However, she sank north of Whitby that same night following a collision with the 5714-ton Italian steamship VALDARNO (1919: Societa Anonima di Navigazione Ltd.).
All of the crew of 17 were rescued by the VALDARNO and taken on board the trawler COLONIO, which put them ashore at a north-east port. The VALDARNO was only slightly damaged and continued on her voyage.
ref. used: 
 Young, Ron, The Ultimate Shipwreck Guide: Whitby To Berwick
Chipchase Nick26/01/2010Other references give the Italian ship as Valdarno.
(thanks Nick, Ron young also confirms her as VALDARNO)
ref. used:
Racey Carl21/12/2009Built for Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd, (Hellyers Bros., Ltd., Managers); Yard No 528; Launch Date 23/09/1929; Hull registration No H94; Wireless; Requisitioned by the Royal Navy on 27/09/1939 as a mine-sweeper, based at Sheerness; Fitted with 1 x 6 pounder stern deck gun; Sank after a collision with the Italian merchant steamer VALENTINO (also reported as VALDARNO) .
The DROMIO was taken in tow but sank, all 17 crew were rescued
ref. used: 
 Racey Carl, A Century of Steamship Losses
Lettens Jan01/10/2009UK hydro member
ref. used: 
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Owners
British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London

In 1509 when Henry VIII was crowned he realised the growing navel power of King James IV of Scots. James had built an impressive fleet to control the Western Isles and was allied to France. Henry built up of his own fleet, the Navy Royal, as it was then known. New ships were constructed, the best known being the Mary Rose. Smaller types of warships (galleases) combining the best features of oars, sails and guns were also built. By Henry's death in 1547 his fleet had grown to 58 vessels.

In 1546 a 'Council of the Marine' was established which later became the 'Navy Board'. The Navy Board was in charge of the daily administration of the navy until 1832 when it was combined with the Board of the Admiralty.

Elizabeth I inherited a fleet of only 27 ships in 1558. Instead of building up her own fleet Elizabeth encouraged private enterprise against Spain's new empire. Men like Sir John Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake to command groups of Royal and private ships to attack the Spanish. When Spain threatened invasion with its Armada in 1588 the Navy of England both Royal and private defended the realm.

Early in the Seventeenth Century, larger galleons were built with heavier armaments. the largest English ship was Sovereign of the Seas built for prestige purposes by Charles I in 1637. The first ship with three gun decks to carry her 102 guns, she was the most powerful ship in the world for many years.

When King Charles II came to the throne in 1660 he inherited a huge fleet of 154 ships. This was a permanent professional national force and the beginning of the Royal Navy as we know it today.

read more
About Builders
 Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
Shipbuilders of Hull & Beverley 1883 -1963 Vessels built at Hull between 1885 - 1904 & Vessels built at Beverley between 1902 - 1963 -- The company was set up on the Humber Bank at Hull by William James Cook, Charles Keen Welton and William Gemmell, three former employees of Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co who set up their own company in 1882, initially to undertake repairs and then build vessels themselves. The first ship to be made by the yard was a steam fishing smack. -

The company moved to a new yard in Grovehill, Beverley in 1901; they took over the Grovehill shipyard from Cochrane, Hamilton and Cooper which had previously been owned by Cochrane and Sons. The first production of the new yard were trawlers and whalers. They dredged the River Hull, allowing larger ships to be built. -

During WWI Tugs, minesweepers and anti-submarine patrol boats were the main ships built for the War effort. In the 1920s the yard consolidated its reputation for building high quality trawlers and continued to do this during the inter war years. During the WWII the yard's output consisted of trawlers, Admiralty corvettes, landing craft, mine-layers and anti-submarine trawlers.After the war, the yard focussed on trawlers again along with a few tugs. -

The Grovehill shipyard continued to be busy. In 1954 the comany had workforce of 650. It was reported that 15 vessels were launched in 1954, five more than in the previous year. They included three minesweepers, four trawlers, and a tug: they were typical of the orders being received by the yard at that time. At least three of the trawlers launched in 1954 and 1955 were exported to South Africa. -

For many years, the chairman of Cook, Welton and Gemmell was Harold Sheardown, a Hull businessman who was also vice-chairman of the Kingston Steam Trawler Co., which was one of the best customers of the Beverley shipyard. In 1963 the yard struggled to find orders and was closed under the Cook, Welton and Gemmell name on 31st March 1963. Soon after the yard was purchased by Charles D. Holmes and Co. The company name was changed to Beverley Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd. This was in turn taken over by Whitby Shipyard Ltd on 1 July 1976

read more

Amos & Smith, Ltd., Hull
Amos & Smith of Neptune Street Hull was established in 1874. In 1888 showed vertical and horizontal steam steering gear at the Glasgow exhibition. They became a private company in 1909.

In 1914:- Marine and General Engineering, Boilermaking, Iron and Brass Founding, Ship Repairing. Employees 700 to 1000.

In 1961:-Marine, general and electrical engineers, boilermakers, iron and brassfounders, ship repairers and dry-dock owners. 450 employees.

read more
Lettens Jan  04/11/2010
Minesweeping in WWII
 Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
Minesweeping in WWII
Minesweeping in WWII
insert new movie
British Isles
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
HMT Dromio [+1939]
British Isles
More charts
Whitby - Approaches River Tees to Scarborough River Tyne - Flamborough Head North Sea - Central Part North Sea - Southern Sheet British Isles British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: