british Evan Thomas, Radcliffe & Co. Ltd. Llanishen ? [+1940]
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1929
is nickname no
status
live live
details
weight (tons) 5053  grt
dimensions 126.5 x 16.5 x 7.9 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 460  n.h.p.
speed 10  knots
yard no. 266
IMO/Off. no. 0061246
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 23/08/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.8rank: 654
about people
builder
Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
engine by
Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
owner
Evan Thomas, Radcliffe & Co. Ltd., Cardiff
captain John E. Thomas
no. of crew 36
about the wreck
depth (m.) 44 max. / 37 min. (m)
orientation 40°
protected
war grave
references
references
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam
updates
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 27/08/2008
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 08/07/2011
 
  Position  
 
Lettens Jan01/10/2009
latitudeUK hydro member
longitudeUK hydro member
AISUK hydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 

Lettens Jan04/04/2013

UK hydro member
ref. used 
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: UK Hydrographic Office
 
 copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Chipchase Nick copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
 
insert new picture
 
  Hydrographic Service UK  
   
  History  
 
Vleggeert Nico24/02/2011The British SS Llanishen was torpedoed by German Stavanger based HE-115 aircraft and sank in the Moray Firth.
ref. used 
  wlb-stuttgart.de
Lettens Jan04/04/2013UK hydro member
ref. used 
 UK Hydrographic Office


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
Evan Thomas, Radcliffe & Co. Ltd., Cardiff

Evan Thomas, Radcliffe and Company was one of the more prosperous and best-known of Cardiff-based shipowning companies, established in 1882 by a Ceredigion sea captain, Evan Thomas, and a Merthyr Tydfil businessman, Henry Radcliffe. Prior to 1939 one of the principal activities of the company was the transportation of Welsh steam coal, this trade reaching its peak in the years immediately prior to World War I. The company was finally wound-up in the 1980s.

read more
 
About Builders
 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
The 'Bartram' shipbuilding business was started in 1837 at Hylton by George Bartram. Later he formed a partnership George Bartram & John Lister which lasted till 1854. Following the partnership dissolution, George Bartram was on his own at Hylton, trading as 'George Bartram & Sons'.

George Bartram............. 1837 to 18?? (South Hylton)
Bartram & Lister ............ 18?? to 1854 (South Hylton)
George Bartram & Sons. 1854 to 1871 (South Hylton)
Bertram, Haswell & Co... 1871 to 1894 (South Dock)
Bartram & Sons Ltd........ 1894 to 1967 (South Dock)

George Bartram opened his yard at Hylton in 1837. The business moved to South Dock in 1871, and was the only firm to launch ships directly into the North Sea. The company was taken over by Austin & Pickersgill in 1967. The yard closed in 1978.

read more

Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Blair & Co. was formed from the engine maker Fossick & Hackworth.
In 1855 George Blair was appointed manager and in the spring of 1865 he was made a partner and the company became Fossick, Blair & Co. when Hackworth retired. Fossick died in 1866 and the company became Blair & Co. Blair was responsible for the expansion of the works to specialise in marine engines.

At this time the company had 700 employees (later to rise to 2,000) and covered an area of seven and a half acres. The first compound marine engine on the Tees was built by Blair's in January 1869 and fitted to the "Glenmore" built by Backhouse & Dixon.

In 1884 the company produced its first triple expansion engine for the "Burgos" built by Richardson Duck. In 1887 the sheerlegs, which were to become a Stockton landmark for many years were errected at a cost of £2,695. These shearlegs were capable of lifting up to 100 tons and were sighted near the river to lift marine engines into newly built ships.

By 1914 almost 1,400 marine engines had been built. At least 340 for Pearse, and later Ropner, 240 for Richardson Duck and 103 for Thomas Turnbull at Whitby. A total of 75 engines were built during the First World War.

The company was taken over by Gould Steamships and Industrials in 1919.

read more
 
 
British Isles
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
Llanishen ? [+1940]
British Isles
More charts
Moray Firth Scotland to Iceland British Isles British Isles Western Approaches British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part Arctic region The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: