dutch Halcyon Lijn N.V. SS Stad Schiedam (+1940)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality dutch
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1911
is nickname no
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 6079  grt
dimensions 126.5 x 16.9 x 8.11 m
material steel
engine 1 x 3 cyl. triple expansion engine by Blair & Co. Engine serial No. 1726., single shaft, 1 screw
power 470  n.h.p.
speed 10  knots
yard no. 147
call sign
PHNR  
PHNR
about the loss
cause lost explosion
date lost 16/09/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.20rank: 634
about people
builder
Craig, Taylor & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
engine by
Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
last owner
[1]Halcyon Lijn N.V., Rotterdam
SS Stad Schiedam (+1940)
period 1936 ~ 1940
call sign: 
PHNR
prev. owners
[2]Evan Thomas, Radcliffe & Co. Ltd., Cardiff
SS Wimborne
period 1911 ~ 1936
IMO/Off. no.: 132643
call sign: 
GMWT
captain Berg F. Van Den
no. of crew 32
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
references
references
  teesbuiltships.co...
updates
entered by Vleggeert Nico
entered 13/08/2008
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 28/04/2014
 
  Position  
 
Vleggeert Nico14/08/2008
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: arendnet.com copyright: Sammlung Bernt Schultz copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Chipchase Nick copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
 
 copyright: Lockett Graham    
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Vleggeert Nico09/10/2012STAD SCHIEDAM Halcyon Lijn; 1911; Craig, Taylor & Co.; 5,918 tons; 415 x 55- 5x26-6; 470 n.h.p.; triple-expansion engines. The Dutch steamship Stad Schiedam was bound from Port Sulphur to Sydney, N.S., with sulphur. On September 16th, 1940, when two days out from Bermuda, the ship was sunk by an internal explosion. Twelve survivors were picked up after being afloat for five days on a raft. The explosion was considered to have been caused by gasification of her sulphur cargo.
ref. used: 
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Craig, Taylor & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Construction of the yard was started in June 1884 when a seven acre sight was taken over by G B Craig and Thomas Herbert Taylor. The first ship built for this company was the "Saint Andrew" in 1885. One of the main type of ships built at this time were oil tankers, these were so designed that if the oil trade failed they could easily be converted to a normal cargo ship. By 1900 the yard had expanded to 12 acres and employed 1000 people at 6 berths. By 1908 the sight consisted of 8 berths, capable of building ships up to 7,500 tons . Over the years the yard continued to expand until the recession hit in the late 1920s. The last ship launched being the "Portregis" in December 1929 with a yard number of 227. The yard finally closed in 1931. Under the name "Stockton Construction Co." the yard was used during the Second World War to assemble a total of 238 tank landing craft which were pre-fabricated at other yards on the Tees.

read more

Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Blair & Co. was formed from the engine maker Fossick & Hackworth.
In 1855 George Blair was appointed manager and in the spring of 1865 he was made a partner and the company became Fossick, Blair & Co. when Hackworth retired. Fossick died in 1866 and the company became Blair & Co. Blair was responsible for the expansion of the works to specialise in marine engines.

At this time the company had 700 employees (later to rise to 2,000) and covered an area of seven and a half acres. The first compound marine engine on the Tees was built by Blair's in January 1869 and fitted to the "Glenmore" built by Backhouse & Dixon.

In 1884 the company produced its first triple expansion engine for the "Burgos" built by Richardson Duck. In 1887 the sheerlegs, which were to become a Stockton landmark for many years were errected at a cost of £2,695. These shearlegs were capable of lifting up to 100 tons and were sighted near the river to lift marine engines into newly built ships.

By 1914 almost 1,400 marine engines had been built. At least 340 for Pearse, and later Ropner, 240 for Richardson Duck and 103 for Thomas Turnbull at Whitby. A total of 75 engines were built during the First World War.

The company was taken over by Gould Steamships and Industrials in 1919.

read more
 
 
US
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
SS Stad Schiedam (+1940)
US
More charts
US North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: