british SS Ampleforth [+1940]
report an error
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1929
live live
weight (tons) 4576  grt
dimensions 122.1 x 16.3 x 7.6 m
material steel
engine 1 x 3 Cyl. Triple expansion engine by Blair & Co., Stockton-on-Tees, England., single shaft, 1 screw
power 417  n.h.p.
yard no. 226
IMO/Off. no. 148313
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 18/08/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.9rank: 653
about people
Craig, Taylor & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
engine by
Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
last owner
[1]Cravos Charles & Co., Cardiff
SS Ampleforth [+1940]
period 1932 ~ 1940
IMO/Off. no.: 148313
prev. owners
[2]Humphries Ltd. - Globe Shipping, Cardiff
SS Glofield
period 1929 ~ 1932
IMO/Off. no.: 148313
about the wreck
depth (m.) 2350 max. / -- min. (m)
war grave
entered by Vleggeert Nico
entered 12/08/2008
last update Allen Tony
last update 02/09/2013
[1] Lettens Jan01/10/2009
latitudeUK hydro member
longitudeUK hydro member
AISUK hydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
  The Wreck today  

Lettens Jan01/10/2009

UK hydro member
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Chipchase Nick   
insert new picture
  Hydrographic Service UK  
Vleggeert Nico12/08/2008At 01.54 hours on 19 Aug, 1940, the Ampleforth (Master Harry Binham), a straggler from convoy OA-199, was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-101 west of the Hebrides. Nine crew members were lost. The master and 28 crew members were picked up by the British destroyer HMS Warwick (D 25) (LtCdr M.A.G. Child) and landed at Liverpool. The vessel was on route from Hull for Jacksonville in ballast.
ref. used: 
Lettens Jan01/10/2009UK hydro member
ref. used: 
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Craig, Taylor & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Construction of the yard was started in June 1884 when a seven acre sight was taken over by G B Craig and Thomas Herbert Taylor. The first ship built for this company was the "Saint Andrew" in 1885. One of the main type of ships built at this time were oil tankers, these were so designed that if the oil trade failed they could easily be converted to a normal cargo ship. By 1900 the yard had expanded to 12 acres and employed 1000 people at 6 berths. By 1908 the sight consisted of 8 berths, capable of building ships up to 7,500 tons . Over the years the yard continued to expand until the recession hit in the late 1920s. The last ship launched being the "Portregis" in December 1929 with a yard number of 227. The yard finally closed in 1931. Under the name "Stockton Construction Co." the yard was used during the Second World War to assemble a total of 238 tank landing craft which were pre-fabricated at other yards on the Tees.

read more

Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Blair & Co. was formed from the engine maker Fossick & Hackworth.
In 1855 George Blair was appointed manager and in the spring of 1865 he was made a partner and the company became Fossick, Blair & Co. when Hackworth retired. Fossick died in 1866 and the company became Blair & Co. Blair was responsible for the expansion of the works to specialise in marine engines.

At this time the company had 700 employees (later to rise to 2,000) and covered an area of seven and a half acres. The first compound marine engine on the Tees was built by Blair's in January 1869 and fitted to the "Glenmore" built by Backhouse & Dixon.

In 1884 the company produced its first triple expansion engine for the "Burgos" built by Richardson Duck. In 1887 the sheerlegs, which were to become a Stockton landmark for many years were errected at a cost of £2,695. These shearlegs were capable of lifting up to 100 tons and were sighted near the river to lift marine engines into newly built ships.

By 1914 almost 1,400 marine engines had been built. At least 340 for Pearse, and later Ropner, 240 for Richardson Duck and 103 for Thomas Turnbull at Whitby. A total of 75 engines were built during the First World War.

The company was taken over by Gould Steamships and Industrials in 1919.

read more
British Isles
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
SS Ampleforth [+1940]
British Isles
More charts
Outer Approaches to the North Channel British Isles British Isles Western Approaches British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: