greek Counties Ship Management Co. Ltd. - Kulukundis & Rethymnis SS Mount Athos [+1940]
report an error
nationality greek
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1913
weight (tons) 3560  grt
dimensions 106.7 x 15.2 x 6.7 m
material steel
engine 3 cyl.triple expansion engine, single shaft, 1 screw, 2182 nrt
power 331  n.h.p.
speed 11  knots
yard no. 278
call sign
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 28/11/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.29rank: 619
about people
Thompson Robert & Sons Ltd. (Robert Thompson Junior), Sunderland
engine by
North Eastern Marine Engineers Ltd., Sunderland
last owner
[1]Counties Ship Management Co. Ltd. - Kulukundis & Rethymnis, London
SS Mount Athos [+1940]
period 1932 ~ 1940
call sign: 
prev. owners
[2]Lambert F. H., Barnett & Co., London
SS Pentowy
period 1923 ~ 1932
[3]Iossifogl S.H., Piraeus
SS Iossifoglu
period 1913 ~ 1923
about the wreck
depth (m.) 2550 max. / -- min. (m)
war grave
entered by Vleggeert Nico
entered 28/07/2008
last update Siert Ingo
last update 19/02/2013
[1] Lettens Jan17/02/2009
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: UK Hydrographic Office  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu    
insert new picture
  Hydrographic Service UK  
Vleggeert Nico28/07/2008At 08.42 hours on 28 Nov, 1940, the Mount Athos was hit under the bridge by one torpedo from U-103 and sank by the stern within 4 minutes
ref. used:
Lettens Jan28/08/2008UK hydro member
ref. used: 
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Owners
Counties Ship Management Co. Ltd. - Kulukundis & Rethymnis, London

Originally Rethymnis and Kulukundis Ltd. Operating from London and Piraeus.
About Builders
 Thompson Robert & Sons Ltd. (Robert Thompson Junior), Sunderland
Bridge Dockyard, Sunderland. - Robert Thompson opened his North Sands yard in 1846. His son, Robert, opened a yard at Southwick in 1854, while another son, Joseph Lowes, took over the yard at North Sands in 1860 and changed the company name to J. L. Thompson. Robert Thompson Jnr’s yard closed in 1933. J L Thompson’s yard was closed in 1979, although the fitting out quay was used by Doxford’s and Laing’s. St Peter’s Campus of Sunderland University now stands on the site.

read more

North Eastern Marine Engineers Ltd., Sunderland
North Eastern Marine Engineering Co of South Docks, Sunderland was formed in 1860. Engine builders in Sunderland and Wallsend, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. By 1889 the company's works at Sunderland and Wallsend have supplied 100 vessels afloat with their triples fitted. In 1925 sees the Application of Superheated Steam to Marine Engines at both Wallsend and Sunderland. Also now manufacturing marine engines, turbines, marine oil engines, boilers, condensers, feed and ballast pumps, evaporators, feed-water cleaners and heaters, circulating pumps etc. In 1938 became North Eastern Marine Engineers Co. (1938) Ltd., Sunderland.

read more
The World
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
SS Mount Athos [+1940]
The World
More charts
Western Approaches British Isles North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: