british Donaldson Line (Donaldson Bros.) SS Corrientes [+1940]
report an error
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam turbine
date built 1920
weight (tons) 6863  grt
dimensions 127.7 x 16.7 x -- m
engine 1 steam turbine, single shaft, 1 screw
speed 12  knots
yard no. 397
IMO/Off. no. 144218
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 26/09/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties 0
about people
Short Brothers Ltd., Pallion (Sunderland)
Donaldson Line (Donaldson Bros.), Glasgow
no. of crew 50
about the wreck
depth (m.) 3000 max. / -- min. (m)
war grave
entered by Vleggeert Nico
entered 24/07/2008
last update Allen Tony
last update 26/09/2014
[1] Lettens Jan05/12/2008
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
insert new picture
Vleggeert Nico24/07/2008At 02.34 hours on 26 Sep, 1940, the Corrientes (Master Thomas Halliday Young Stewart), dispersed from convoy OB-217, was torpedoed by U-32 (Jenisch) about 600 miles west of Achill Head, Co. Mayo (grid AL 4885), but remained afloat. At 21.40 hours on 28 September, the abandoned ship was struck by one torpedo from U-37 and finally sunk by gunfire. The master and 49 crew members were picked up by the Swedish merchant Kolsnaren and landed at Philadelphia.
ref. used

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Owners
Donaldson Line (Donaldson Bros.), Glasgow

Known as Donaldson Atlantic Line , Donaldson Brother, Ltd., Donaldson South American Line. Established in 1855 as Donaldson Brothers.
About Builders
 Short Brothers Ltd., Pallion (Sunderland)
George Short started in 1850, and moved to Pallion in 1869. Short’s built more ships for local owners than any other yard. It closed in 1964 when the firm was unwilling to redevelop and build bigger ships. The yard was demolished, although Bartram’s took over the fitting out quay, which was still in use in the 1980s.
The World
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
SS Corrientes [+1940]
The World
More charts
Western Approaches British Isles Arquipélago dos Açores to Flemish Cap North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: