british SS Tasman (+1918)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type passenger/cargo ship (ex-passenger ship)
propulsion steam
date built 1912
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 5023  grt
dimensions 124 x 14.9 x 7.9 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 470  n.h.p.
speed 12  knots
yard no. 589
IMO/Off. no. 142607
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 16/09/1918  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.14rank: 645
about people
builder
Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
engine by
Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
last owner
[1]TSC - The Shipping Controller (WWI), London
SS Tasman (+1918)
period 1918 ~ 1918
IMO/Off. no.: 142607
prev. owners
[2]Koninklijke Paketvaart Mij. (Kpm), Amsterdam
SS Tasman
period 1913 ~ 1918
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Vleggeert Nico
entered 23/05/2008
last update Lettens Jan
last update 11/12/2012
 
  Position  
 
[1] Lettens Jan29/12/2008
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
  uboat.net
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: SHOM  
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Lettens Jan30/10/2011SS Tasman, built by Earle's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Hull in 1912 and owned at the time of her loss by The Shipping Controller (Federal Steam Nav. Co. Ltd.,), London, was a British steamer of 5.023 tons.

On September 16th, 1918, Tasman, on a voyage from London to Calcutta, was sunk by the German submarine U-46 (Leo Hillebrand), 220 miles NxW1/4W of Cape Villano. 14 persons were lost.
Lettens Jan29/12/2008S/S TASMAN; Requisitioned by The Shipping Controller (Federal Steam Navigation Co.) and built in 1912 by Earle´s Co.; 5,023 tons; 392x49x26 ft.; 470 n.h.p.; 12 knots; triple expansion engine

On September 16th, 1918, the steamer S/S Tasman was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-46 (Oberleutnant zur See Leo Hillebrand), 220 miles N by W1/4W of Cape Villano. The crew of 13, including the captain was lost.
ref. used: 
 Hocking C. et Al.
Allen Tony09/11/2008Tasman SS was a steamship of 5023 tons built in 1913. On the Singapore-Java-Melbourne run for Koninklkye Paketvaart Maatschappy (Royal Packet Line). Requisitioned by the Commonwealth Government during World War 1 and torpedoed on the 16th September 1918.
ref. used: 
  oceans1.customer.n..


insert new history
 
  Documents  
 
Lettens Jan15/03/2009[EN]

Rev. George Ernest Woodford´s diary, 1918.

Rev. George Ernest Woodford´s diary, 1918, kindly sent by Jerome woodford, his grandson.
ref. used
 Jerome woodford


insert new document
 
About Owners
 
TSC - The Shipping Controller (WWI), London

The position of Controller-General of Merchant Shipbuilding was created for Lord Pirrie at a time when merchant shipbuilding in the United Kingdom was in a very unsatisfactory state and a stimulus to increased production was urgently needed.

He went to the Admiralty without any staff, and, as a war measure, a large number of standard cargo steamers were built in British yards under his authority and with his active management. The standard ships, for which the original programme had been laid down by the Shipping Controller, were built for account of the State and have since been sold to the shipping industry.

Lord Pirrie on his appointment gave close attention to the speedy repairing of torpedoed ships and improved the organization.

read more
 
About Builders
 Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co was the largest yard building the biggest ships on the Humber based in Hull --- The company was started in Hull in 1845 by two brothers from York, Charles and William Earle, who set themselves up as engineers and ship buiders. At times, as many as two or three thousand men were employed in shipbuilding and repair activities, including the construction of many Wilson Line vessels. The company was reconstituted as Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited in 1871 after the death of Charles and the illness of William Earle. Serious problems in the 1890s eventually led to the voluntary liquidation of the firm, which was then bought by Charles Wilson of the Wilson Line. The firm retained its name, but was wholly owned by members of the Wilson family for the rest of its existence. The trade slump of the 1920s and early 1930s led to prolonged short-time working. The yard was finally closed in 1932 when it was acquired by the National Shipbuilders Securities Limited under the national shipyard rationalisation scheme which precluded its use as a shipbuilding yard to 40 years. Nearly 700 ships had been built by the company between 1853 and 1931.

read more
 
 
Western Europe
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
SS Tasman (+1918)
Western Europe
More charts
Gulf of Biscay Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: