british Russell J. Archie Cambus Wallace (+1894)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type barque - bark
propulsion sailing ship
date built 1894
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 1651  grt
dimensions 74.7 x 11.5 x 6.9 m
material iron
rigging 3 masts
speed  
yard no. 358
IMO/Off. no. 102673
about the loss
cause lost ran aground (wrecked)
date lost 03/09/1894  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.27rank: 620
about people
builder
Russell & Co. Ltd., Greenock
owner
Russell J. Archie, Glasgow
captain Legga, Wm. A.
no. of crew 27
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 14/05/2008
last update Siert Ingo
last update 13/05/2012
 
  Position  
 
Lettens Jan22/11/2010
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 Australian National Shipwrecks Database, environment.gov.au
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: The Brisbane Courier
 
 copyright: The Brisbane Courier copyright: Australian Hydrographic Service copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Siert Ingo10/08/2011Cited from wikimedia.org:

1894 Named: CAMBUS WALLACE for Russell J. Archie, Glasgow Flag: United Kingdom. On her trip to Brisbane, her first run under command of Captain Wm A. Legga (27) she made the Solitary Islands (New South Wales) from Glasgow in 121 days, and during that time no less than four gales had been encountered in the space of one week.

03.09.1894 Ran aground in the heavy seas near the narrow stretch of Stradbroke Island called Tuleen. Within half an hour the main mast of steel cracked and broke, the lengthy upper part falling towards the bows. Some of the crew managed to swim to shore, but five men drowned. The hatches of the wrecked ship broke open as the tide rose and cargo washed overboard.

The vessel was carrying whiskey, beer and cases of explosives as well as all kinds of imported fine goods. The barque disappeared entirely beneath the water in 48 hours. One weak and injured sailor breathed his last on the Miner as she was passing Cleveland on her home journey.

He was buried in the Toowong Cemetery. By the spring of 1896, the tide had divided Stradbroke Island in two. The graves and memorial to mariners from the Cambus Wallace washed away into the waters of the new Jumpinpin Bar.
ref. used 
  commons.wikimedia...
Lettens Jan10/08/2011Cambus Wallace; Barque; Owned by Russell; Built in 1894. Registered at Glasgow.

On 03 September 1895, Cambus Wallace (Wm A. Legga) was on voyage from Glasgow to Brisbane with general cargo and a crew of 27, when she was lost off Stradbroke Island, Jumpinpin Bar. Some (unknown number of) people died.
ref. used 
 Australian National Shipwrecks Database, environment.gov.au
Allen Tony28/04/2009The barque Cambuswallace was wrecked on Stradbroke Island, off Brisbane, on September 4th, 1894. She sank with the loss of five lives.
ref. used 
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
 
The World
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
Cambus Wallace (+1894)
The World
More charts
Point Danger to Cape Moreton Tasman and Coral Seas - Australia to N. New Zealand and Fiji Australasia and Adjacent Waters Antarctic Region The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: