canadian SS Kenordoc [+1940]
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality canadian
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1926
is nickname no
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 1780  grt
dimensions 76.8 x 13.1 x 5.2 m
material steel
engine 1 x 3 Cyl triple expansion engine, machinery aft.
power 111  n.h.p.
speed  
yard no. 103
about the loss
cause lost gunfire - shelled
date lost 15/09/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.7rank: 659
about people
builder
Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Middlesbrough
engine by
Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
last owner
[1]Paterson Steamships Ltd.
SS Kenordoc [+1940]
period 1939 ~ 1940
prev. owners
[2]Union Transit Co Ltd. (J. B. Foote), Middlesbrough
SS Geo R. Donovan
period 1928 ~ 1939
[3]Toronto Insurance & Vessel Agency Ltd., Middlesbrough
SS Geo R. Donovan
period 1926 ~ 1928
captain Charles Ernest Brown
no. of crew 20
about the wreck
depth (m.) 560 max. / -- min. (m)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Jan Lettens
entered 26/04/2008
last update Jan Lettens
last update 08/12/2010
 
  Position  
 
[1] Jan Lettens17/02/2009
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
 
  copyright: UK Hydrographic Office  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu    
 
insert new picture
 
  Hydrographic Service UK  
   
  History  
 
Allen Tony27/02/2009Completed in May 1926 as Geo. R. Donovan SS for Union Transit Co Ltd (J.B. Foote), Hamilton, Ontario. In 1939 renamed Kenordoc SS for Paterson Steamships Ltd, Fort William, Ontario. On the 15th September 1940 the Kenordoc (Master Charles Ernest Brown), a straggler from convoy SC-3, was shelled by U-99 about 44 miles west-northwest of Rockall. The ship was later scuttled by HMS Amazon (D 39) (LtCdrN.E.G.

Roper). The master and six crew members were lost. 13 crew members were rescued by the destroyer and HMCS St. Laurent (H 83) (Lt H.S. Rayner, RCN) and landed at Greenock.
ref. used: 
  uboat.net
Jan Lettens26/04/2008Kenordoc; 57 tons; Registered at Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Registration no. 147782.

On the 15th September 1940, Kenordoc was lost. Position unknown.
ref. used: 
 Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, museum.gov.ns.ca
Jan Lettens28/08/2008UK hydro member
ref. used: 
 UK Hydrographic Office


insert new history
 
  Documents  
 
insert new document
 
About Builders
 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Middlesbrough
The Furness Shipbuilding Co. was part of the Furness, Withy and Co. shipbuilding empire based in Hartlepool in England. It had been built as an emergency shipyard to cope with the repair requirements of World War I. The yard was a massive 90 acres in size and had eight berths and two high tower cranes. -- To start a number of ships were ordered by and manufactured for the British Government along with orders from foreign companies. In mid 1919 the Furness family resigned from the Board of Furness, Withy and Co and a management buyout happened. This meant that during the first half of the 1920s there was a constant supply of orders for Furness, Withy & Co and its subsidiaries.

read more

Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co was the largest yard building the biggest ships on the Humber based in Hull --- The company was started in Hull in 1845 by two brothers from York, Charles and William Earle, who set themselves up as engineers and ship buiders. At times, as many as two or three thousand men were employed in shipbuilding and repair activities, including the construction of many Wilson Line vessels. The company was reconstituted as Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited in 1871 after the death of Charles and the illness of William Earle. Serious problems in the 1890s eventually led to the voluntary liquidation of the firm, which was then bought by Charles Wilson of the Wilson Line. The firm retained its name, but was wholly owned by members of the Wilson family for the rest of its existence. The trade slump of the 1920s and early 1930s led to prolonged short-time working. The yard was finally closed in 1932 when it was acquired by the National Shipbuilders Securities Limited under the national shipyard rationalisation scheme which precluded its use as a shipbuilding yard to 40 years. Nearly 700 ships had been built by the company between 1853 and 1931.

read more
 
 
The World
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
SS Kenordoc [+1940]
The World
More charts
Banks West of the Hebrides Scotland to Iceland Western Approaches British Isles North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part Arctic region The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: