american SS Frank E. Vigor (+1944)
report an error
nationality american
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1896
weight (tons) 4344  grt
dimensions 125.9 x 14.6 x 7.3 m
material steel
engine 1 triple expansion engine, 4 boilers, single shaft, 1 screw
power 2000  h.p.
speed 12  knots
yard no. 67
IMO/Off. no. 116732
about the loss
cause lost collision
date lost 27/04/1944  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
Globe Iron Works, Cleveland
engine by
Globe Iron Works, Cleveland
last owner
[1]Kelly J. T.
SS Frank E. Vigor (+1944)
period 1941 ~ 1944
IMO/Off. no.: 116732
prev. owners
[2]Columbia Transportation Co. - Oglebay Marine Transportation Co., Cleveland
SS William B. Pikey
period 1934 ~ 1941
IMO/Off. no.: 116732
[3]Paisley R. J.
SS William B. Pilkey
period 1929 ~ 1941
[4]Bessemer SS Co.
SS Sir William Siemens
period 1896 ~ 1929
about the wreck
status in good state
depth (m.) 27.88 max. / -- min. (m)
position on seabed turtle
protected yes
war grave
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 02/02/2008
last update Allen Tony
last update 30/04/2012
Lettens Jan02/02/2008
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 NOAA Office of Coast Survey, nauticalcharts.noa..
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
  The Wreck today  

Lettens Jan02/02/2008

hydro member
ref. used
 NOAA Office of Coast Survey, nauticalcharts.noa..

insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
   copyright: Bowling Green State University  
insert new picture
Allen Tony30/04/2012SS Frank E. Vigor was an American cargo steamer of 4,344grt. On the 27th April 1944 she sank after a collison off Point Pelee, Lake Erie.
ref. used: 
 Miramar Ship Index

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Globe Iron Works, Cleveland
Globe Iron Works, (GIW), was originally a foundry, started in 1853 as Sanderson & Company: it was acquired and renamed by Henry Coffinberry, Robert Wallace and John Pankhurst in 1869. In 1871, these three acquired a 50% interest in a wooden shipbuilder at the foot of Elm Street, called Stevens & Presley, later George Presley & Company. In 1880, the three investors started a new shipyard to build steel ships. This yard was on the Old River, where the foot of West 49th Street would be if it went that far, and was originally called Globe Shipbuilding Company, (GSBC). The first three GSBC hulls were built for them by Presley while the new yard was under construction. In 1886, GIW and GSBC were merged under the GIW name. In 1887, GIW bought out Presley and renamed his yard Cleveland Dry Dock Company, (CDDC). In 1888, GIW bought William H. Radcliffe's shipyard at the foot of West 45th Street and the nearby Shipowners Dry Dock Company, which was at the foot of West 54th Street. In 1887, Coffinberry and Wallace sold their interests in GIW to M. A. Hanna and started a completely separate shipyard, Cleveland Shipbuilding. In 1899, all the GIW yards along the Old River became part of The American Ship Building Company, later becoming known as AmShip Cleveland. The yard closed after WWII but part of it is now home to Great Lakes Towing's shipyard

read more
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
SS Frank E. Vigor (+1944)
More charts
Geneva to Lorain Great Lakes - Lake Erie Great Lakes US North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: