australian Australian Royal Navy HMAS Adelaide (FFG-01) (+2011)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality australian
purpose war
type frigate
propulsion Gas Turbine
date built 1977
status
live live
details
weight (tons) 4100  disp (surf)
dimensions 138 x 14.3 x 7.5 m
material steel
engine 2 × General Electric LM2500 gas turbines
armament • Mk 13 launcher for Harpoon and SM-1MR missiles • 1 × 76 mm OTO Melara gun • 1 × 20 mm Mk 16 Mod 2 Phalanx CIWS • 2 x triple 324 mm Mk 32 torpedo tubes
power 41000  s.h.p.
speed 30  knots
about the loss
cause lost artificial reef
other reasons deliberate
date lost 13/04/2011  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Todd Pacific Shipyards, Seattle
engine by
General Electric Co.
owner
Australian Royal Navy
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 10/10/2012
last update Allen Tony
last update 11/10/2012
 
  Position  
 
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
 
     
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony10/10/2012HMAS Adelaide (FFG 01) was the lead ship of the Adelaide class of guided missile frigates built for the Royal Australian Navy, based on the United States Navy's Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates. She was built in the United States of America and commissioned into the RAN in 1980. In 2008, Adelaide was the second ship of the class to be decommissioned, in order to offset the cost of an upgrade to the other four vessels.

This ship was to be sunk off Avoca Beach, New South Wales as a dive wreck on 27th March 2010, until an appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal by protest groups led to a postponement of the scuttling until additional cleanup work was completed. Despite further attempts to delay or cancel the scuttling, Adelaide was sunk off Avoca on 13th April 2011.

insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Todd Pacific Shipyards, Seattle
Todd's presence in Puget Sound began in 1916 with the acquisition of Seattle Dry Dock & Construction Company, the successor company to Moran Bros., which had been building and repairing ships in Seattle since the 1880s. The yard was at the foot of Charles Street on the Seattle waterfront. In May 1918, Todd sold this yard to the Emergency Fleet Corporation, which combined it with the adjoining Skinner & Eddy yard. Todd then bought property for a repair yard on Seattle's Harbor Island and for a construction yard in Tacoma's Commencement Bay. A contract from the U.S. Navy for three cruisers was transferred to the Tacoma yard (qv) and Skinner & Eddy (qv) completed the work that was in progress. In 1940, Todd acquired additional property on Harbor Island in order to create additional construction capacity. This yard, which was designed to build destroyers and was built with $9mm from the Navy, employed 17,000 people at its peak, while the repair yard employed another 5,500. After the war, Todd acquired the new facilities from the Navy and the combined yard remains in operation today. Todd was acquired by Vigor Industrial in 2011.

read more
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: