american Us Coast Guard Coos Bay (WHEC-376) (+1968)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality american
purpose war
type cutter 1 mast
propulsion motor vessel (diesel)
date built 1942
status
live live
details
weight (tons) 2510 
dimensions 94.49 x 12.5 x 4.01 m
engine Fairbanks-Morse geared diesel engines, two shafts
armament one single 5-inch (127 mm) 38-caliber gun
power  
speed 17.2  knots
call sign
NBPG  
NBPG
about the loss
cause lost used as a target
date lost 09/01/1968  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Lake Washington Shipyard, Houghton (Mi)
last owner
[1]Us Coast Guard, Washington D.C.
Coos Bay (WHEC-376) (+1968)
period 1949 ~ 1966
call sign: 
NBPG
prev. owners
[2]Us Coast Guard, Washington D.C.
USCG Coos Bay (WHEC-376)
period 1966 ~ 1966
[3]Us Navy - United States Navy
USS Coos Bay (AVP-25)
period 1942 ~ 1946
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 08/10/2012
last update Allen Tony
last update 09/10/2012
 
  Position  
 
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
 
     
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony09/10/2012The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter USCGC Coos Bay (WHEC-376) being sunk as a target on 9th January 1968 200 km (120 mi) off the coast of Virginia (USA). Originally USS Coos Bay (AVP-25) was a Barnegat-class small seaplane tender commissioned by the U.S. Navy for use in the Second World War. From 1949 to 1966 she was loaned to the U.S. Coast Guard, first designated WAVP-376, later WHEC-376. After her return to the Navy, the Coos Bay was struck from the Naval Register.

On 9th January 1968 she was used as target by the guided missile destroyer USS Claude V. Ricketts (DDG-5), using a RIM-2 Tartar missile. Later she was attacked by 35 aircraft, and finally sunk by a AGM-12 Bullpup missile, fired by a Vought A-7A Corsair II.

insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
Us Coast Guard, Washington D.C.

The Coast Guard's official history began on 4 August 1790 when President George Washington signed the Tariff Act that authorized the construction of ten vessels, referred to as "cutters," to enforce federal tariff and trade laws and to prevent smuggling. Known variously through the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries as the "revenue cutters," the "system of cutters," and finally the Revenue Cutter Service, it expanded in size and responsibilities as the nation grew.

The service received its present name in 1915 under an act of Congress that merged the Revenue Cutter Service with the U. S. Life-Saving Service, thereby providing the nation with a single maritime service dedicated to saving life at sea and enforcing the nation's maritime laws. The Coast Guard began maintaining the country's aids to maritime navigation, including lighthouses, when President Franklin Roosevelt ordered the transfer of the Lighthouse Service to the Coast Guard in 1939. In 1946 Congress permanently transferred the Commerce Department's Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation to the Coast Guard, thereby placing merchant marine licensing and merchant vessel safety under its purview.


read more
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: