british Great Northern Steam Fishing Co. - Curzon Charles FV Miranda (H875) (+1918)
report an error
nationality british
purpose fishing
type trawler
propulsion steam
date built 1906
weight (tons) 174  grt
dimensions 33.1 x 6.6 x 3.5 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine, 1 boiler, single shaft, 1 screw, ketch rigged
power 45  n.h.p.
speed 9.5  knots
yard no. 98
IMO/Off. no. 123237
about the loss
cause lost ran aground (wrecked)
date lost 14/01/1918  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
engine by
Amos & Smith, Ltd., Hull
last owner
[1]Great Northern Steam Fishing Co. - Curzon Charles, Hull
FV Miranda (H875) (+1918)
period 1918 ~ 1918
IMO/Off. no.: 123237
prev. owners
[2]British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London
HMT Miranda III (FY601)
period 1914 ~ 1918
IMO/Off. no.: 123237
[3]Hull Northern Fishing Co. Ltd. - Hellyer Bros Ltd. - Hellyer Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Hull
FV Miranda (H875)
period 1906 ~ 1914
IMO/Off. no.: 123237
about the wreck
depth (m.)
war grave
 Michael Thompson, Cook, Welton & Gemmell - Shipbuilders Of Hull & Beverley
entered by Racey Carl
entered 11/02/2012
last update Racey Carl
last update 15/07/2014
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
insert new picture
Racey Carl11/02/2012The MIRANDA (H875)was built in 1906 for Hellyer Steam Fishing Co., Hull.
In September 1914 vessel Rqd by the Royal Navy as a mine-sweeper No FY601 renamed MIRANDA III. In 1918 vessel returned and reverted.
In 1918 vessel sold to Charles Curzon, Milford.
On 14/01/1918 the MIRANDA was wrecked in Pelwick Bay.
ref. used: 
 Michael Thompson, Cook, Welton & Gemmell - Shipbuilders Of Hull & Beverley

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Owners
Great Northern Steam Fishing Co. - Curzon Charles, Hull

Lloyd's reference: 1074
About Builders
 Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
Shipbuilders of Hull & Beverley 1883 -1963 Vessels built at Hull between 1885 - 1904 & Vessels built at Beverley between 1902 - 1963 -- The company was set up on the Humber Bank at Hull by William James Cook, Charles Keen Welton and William Gemmell, three former employees of Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co who set up their own company in 1882, initially to undertake repairs and then build vessels themselves. The first ship to be made by the yard was a steam fishing smack. -

The company moved to a new yard in Grovehill, Beverley in 1901; they took over the Grovehill shipyard from Cochrane, Hamilton and Cooper which had previously been owned by Cochrane and Sons. The first production of the new yard were trawlers and whalers. They dredged the River Hull, allowing larger ships to be built. -

During WWI Tugs, minesweepers and anti-submarine patrol boats were the main ships built for the War effort. In the 1920s the yard consolidated its reputation for building high quality trawlers and continued to do this during the inter war years. During the WWII the yard's output consisted of trawlers, Admiralty corvettes, landing craft, mine-layers and anti-submarine trawlers.After the war, the yard focussed on trawlers again along with a few tugs. -

The Grovehill shipyard continued to be busy. In 1954 the comany had workforce of 650. It was reported that 15 vessels were launched in 1954, five more than in the previous year. They included three minesweepers, four trawlers, and a tug: they were typical of the orders being received by the yard at that time. At least three of the trawlers launched in 1954 and 1955 were exported to South Africa. -

For many years, the chairman of Cook, Welton and Gemmell was Harold Sheardown, a Hull businessman who was also vice-chairman of the Kingston Steam Trawler Co., which was one of the best customers of the Beverley shipyard. In 1963 the yard struggled to find orders and was closed under the Cook, Welton and Gemmell name on 31st March 1963. Soon after the yard was purchased by Charles D. Holmes and Co. The company name was changed to Beverley Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd. This was in turn taken over by Whitby Shipyard Ltd on 1 July 1976

read more

Amos & Smith, Ltd., Hull
Amos & Smith of Neptune Street Hull was established in 1874. In 1888 showed vertical and horizontal steam steering gear at the Glasgow exhibition. They became a private company in 1909.

In 1914:- Marine and General Engineering, Boilermaking, Iron and Brass Founding, Ship Repairing. Employees 700 to 1000.

In 1961:-Marine, general and electrical engineers, boilermakers, iron and brassfounders, ship repairers and dry-dock owners. 450 employees.

read more
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: