british Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. - Hain E. & Co. - Edward Hain SS Pruth (+1923)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1916
is nickname no
status
live live
details
weight (tons) 4698  grt
dimensions 121.9 x 16.2 x 7.9 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 421  n.h.p.
speed 10  knots
yard no. 511
about the loss
cause lost ran aground (wrecked)
date lost 31/12/1923  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Thompson Joseph L. & Sons, Sunderland
owner
Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. - Hain E. & Co. - Edward Hain, London
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
references
references
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam
updates
entered by Vleggeert Nico
entered 26/01/2012
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 25/03/2013
 
  Position  
 
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Vleggeert Nico26/01/2012The British SS Pruth, on a voyage from New York to Cairns, via Port Moresby, was wrecked at Natara Reef, Port Moresby.
ref. used 
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. - Hain E. & Co. - Edward Hain, London

Existed in 1878 as 'E. Hain & Co' from St Ives, Cornwall. In 1901 named 'Hain Steamship Co.', operating from Cardiff Purchased in 1917 by P&O and moved to London, but maintained name & flag. In 1972 the company was merged into P&O's General Cargo Divison. The company ships started with the Cornish title Tre. Before 1938, the flag showed EH instead of a single H.


read more
 
About Builders
 Thompson Joseph L. & Sons, Sunderland
Joseph L. Thompson and Sons of Sunderland was established in 1846 by Robert Thompson. They became the largest and most famous of all the shipbuilding yards. Based in North Sands and located in an arc around to the North dock. Thompson set up the company at North Sands with his three sons and manufactured their first small sailing ship. In 1854 Thompson's son of the same name left the company to set up his own yard: Robert Thompson and Sons. The yard changed its name to Joseph L. Thompson in February 1871. Joseph L. Thompson retired in 1875 and his three sons Robert, Joseph Lowes and Charles carried on the business. In 1954 the yard became a subsidiary of Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Dock and Engineering Co. This was made up of the Thompson, Laing and Crown yards and the repairer T. W. Greenwell and Co. In 1961 the company changed its name to Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. ---- J. L. Thompson’s yard was finally closed in 1979, although the fitting out quay was used by Doxford’s and Laing’s. The last ever launch took place at the North Sands yard on 24th May 1979.

read more
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: