british British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN HMT Ludgate (+1918)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose war (prev. utility)
type tug
propulsion steam
date built 1892
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 174  grt
dimensions 35.4 x 6.7 x 3.5 m
material iron
engine 1 triple expansion engine, 1 boiler, 1 screw
power 80  n.h.p.
speed 12  knots
yard no. 85
about the loss
cause lost ran aground (wrecked)
date lost 15/02/1918  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
engine by
Holmes C. D. & Co. Ltd., Hull
last owner
[1]British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London
HMT Ludgate (+1918)
period 1917 ~ 1918
prev. owners
[2]Soc. Anonyme de Remorquage à Hélice - Gerling H. - SARH, Antwerpen
SS President Ludwig
period 1892 ~ 1917
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
references
references
 Michael Thompson, Cook, Welton & Gemmell - Shipbuilders Of Hull & Beverley
updates
entered by Racey Carl
entered 02/01/2012
last update Lettens Jan
last update 02/01/2012
 
  Position  
 
Racey Carl02/01/2012
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu    
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Racey Carl02/01/2012On the 02/09/1917 the Belgium Steam tug PRESIDENT LUDWIG was chartered by the British Royal Navy and renamed LUDGATE.
On 15/02/1918 the LUDGATE was wrecked in Wigtown Bay.
ref. used 
 Michael Thompson, Cook, Welton & Gemmell - Shipbuilders Of Hull & Beverley


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London

In 1509 when Henry VIII was crowned he realised the growing navel power of King James IV of Scots. James had built an impressive fleet to control the Western Isles and was allied to France. Henry built up of his own fleet, the Navy Royal, as it was then known. New ships were constructed, the best known being the Mary Rose. Smaller types of warships (galleases) combining the best features of oars, sails and guns were also built. By Henry's death in 1547 his fleet had grown to 58 vessels.

In 1546 a 'Council of the Marine' was established which later became the 'Navy Board'. The Navy Board was in charge of the daily administration of the navy until 1832 when it was combined with the Board of the Admiralty.

Elizabeth I inherited a fleet of only 27 ships in 1558. Instead of building up her own fleet Elizabeth encouraged private enterprise against Spain's new empire. Men like Sir John Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake to command groups of Royal and private ships to attack the Spanish. When Spain threatened invasion with its Armada in 1588 the Navy of England both Royal and private defended the realm.

Early in the Seventeenth Century, larger galleons were built with heavier armaments. the largest English ship was Sovereign of the Seas built for prestige purposes by Charles I in 1637. The first ship with three gun decks to carry her 102 guns, she was the most powerful ship in the world for many years.

When King Charles II came to the throne in 1660 he inherited a huge fleet of 154 ships. This was a permanent professional national force and the beginning of the Royal Navy as we know it today.

read more
 
About Builders
 Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
Shipbuilders of Hull & Beverley 1883 -1963 Vessels built at Hull between 1885 - 1904 & Vessels built at Beverley between 1902 - 1963 -- The company was set up on the Humber Bank at Hull by William James Cook, Charles Keen Welton and William Gemmell, three former employees of Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co who set up their own company in 1882, initially to undertake repairs and then build vessels themselves. The first ship to be made by the yard was a steam fishing smack. -

The company moved to a new yard in Grovehill, Beverley in 1901; they took over the Grovehill shipyard from Cochrane, Hamilton and Cooper which had previously been owned by Cochrane and Sons. The first production of the new yard were trawlers and whalers. They dredged the River Hull, allowing larger ships to be built. -

During WWI Tugs, minesweepers and anti-submarine patrol boats were the main ships built for the War effort. In the 1920s the yard consolidated its reputation for building high quality trawlers and continued to do this during the inter war years. During the WWII the yard's output consisted of trawlers, Admiralty corvettes, landing craft, mine-layers and anti-submarine trawlers.After the war, the yard focussed on trawlers again along with a few tugs. -

The Grovehill shipyard continued to be busy. In 1954 the comany had workforce of 650. It was reported that 15 vessels were launched in 1954, five more than in the previous year. They included three minesweepers, four trawlers, and a tug: they were typical of the orders being received by the yard at that time. At least three of the trawlers launched in 1954 and 1955 were exported to South Africa. -

For many years, the chairman of Cook, Welton and Gemmell was Harold Sheardown, a Hull businessman who was also vice-chairman of the Kingston Steam Trawler Co., which was one of the best customers of the Beverley shipyard. In 1963 the yard struggled to find orders and was closed under the Cook, Welton and Gemmell name on 31st March 1963. Soon after the yard was purchased by Charles D. Holmes and Co. The company name was changed to Beverley Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd. This was in turn taken over by Whitby Shipyard Ltd on 1 July 1976

read more

Holmes C. D. & Co. Ltd., Hull
In 1869 Charles D. Holmes was founded in Hull as marine engineering company.

In 1959 the company was privatized.

During the 1960's the company built tugs for the Humber fleet, as well as companies from further. The company were general marine engineers, boiler makers, welders, metal sprayers, and makers of marine diesel engines with 400 employees. In 1963 purchased the yard of Cook, Welton & Gemmel.

During the 1970s the yard made more tugs for the Navy, BP and the Iranian Government. The yard was acquired by the Drypool Group in 1975 and after building one further ship, went into liquidation again.

read more
 
 
British Isles
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
HMT Ludgate (+1918)
British Isles
More charts
Kirkcudbright - Isle of Man Irish Sea - Eastern Part Irish Sea - Western Part Irish Sea British Isles British Isles Western Approaches British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: