german SS Wittekind (+1944)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality german
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1906
is nickname no
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 4028  grt
dimensions 106.4 x 15.3 x 7.85 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 1600  b.h.p.
speed 10  knots
yard no. 158
IMO/Off. no. 5602766
call sign
DFZW  
DFZW
about the loss
cause lost air raid
date lost 19/01/1944  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.29rank: 619
about people
builder
Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Willington (N. & S. Shields)
engine by
Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
last owner
[1]Nübel & Fritzen A. G., Emden
SS Wittekind (+1944)
period 1925 ~ 1944
IMO/Off. no.: 5602766
call sign: 
DFZW
prev. owners
[2]Wilhelmsen, Wilh. (Norske Afrika Og Australia Linje, Norge-Mexico Gulf Linjen), Tønsberg
SS Tricolor
period 1906 ~ 1925
call sign: 
MCQJ
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 05/07/2011
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 04/04/2013
 
  Position  
 
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Chipchase Nick 
 
 copyright: Lockett Graham    
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Lettens Jan05/07/2011Requisitioned in November 1939 by the Kriegsmarine as a collier, the German cargo Wittekind was sunk by British bombers on January 14th, 1944, while on a voyage from Narvik to Germany, near Lister.

insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Willington (N. & S. Shields)
A point of interest: the first 25 ships built by this company, without exception, were all lost at sea or wrecked. Of the first 50 ships built only 3 would see a full life of service and make it to the breakers yard.

Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Blair & Co. was formed from the engine maker Fossick & Hackworth.
In 1855 George Blair was appointed manager and in the spring of 1865 he was made a partner and the company became Fossick, Blair & Co. when Hackworth retired. Fossick died in 1866 and the company became Blair & Co. Blair was responsible for the expansion of the works to specialise in marine engines.

At this time the company had 700 employees (later to rise to 2,000) and covered an area of seven and a half acres. The first compound marine engine on the Tees was built by Blair's in January 1869 and fitted to the "Glenmore" built by Backhouse & Dixon.

In 1884 the company produced its first triple expansion engine for the "Burgos" built by Richardson Duck. In 1887 the sheerlegs, which were to become a Stockton landmark for many years were errected at a cost of £2,695. These shearlegs were capable of lifting up to 100 tons and were sighted near the river to lift marine engines into newly built ships.

By 1914 almost 1,400 marine engines had been built. At least 340 for Pearse, and later Ropner, 240 for Richardson Duck and 103 for Thomas Turnbull at Whitby. A total of 75 engines were built during the First World War.

The company was taken over by Gould Steamships and Industrials in 1919.

read more
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: