british British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN HMT Courtier (FY449) (+1916)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose war (prev. fishing)
type minesweeper (ex-trawler)
propulsion steam
date built 1910
status
dead (not found) dead (not found)
details
weight (tons) 181  grt
dimensions 33.5 x 6.4 x 3.4 m
material steel
engine 1 triple expansion engine, 1 single boiler, 1 screw
armament armed
power 55  n.h.p.
speed 10  knots
yard no. 203
about the loss
cause lost mine
date lost 06/01/1916  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.12rank: 649
about people
builder
Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
engine by
Holmes C. D. & Co. Ltd., Hull
last owner
[1]British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London
HMT Courtier (FY449) (+1916)
period 1915 ~ 1916
prev. owners
[2]Queen Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Grimsby
FV Courtier (GY564)
period 1910 ~ 1915
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
references
references
 Racey Carl, A Century of Steamship Losses
updates
entered by Racey Carl
entered 16/02/2011
last update Racey Carl
last update 14/05/2012
 
  Position  
 
Lettens Jan14/05/2012
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: UK Hydrographic Office
 
 copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
     
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Lettens Jan14/05/2012HMT Courtier, was a steam trawler of 181 tons built by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Ltd., Beverley in 1910 for the Queen Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Grimsby. In WWI, she was operated by the Royal Navy as a minesweeper.

On January 6th, 1916, HMT Courtier was sunk by a mine from a German submarine (probably UC-6), off Kilnsea, Spurn Head. 12 persons were lost.
Racey Carl16/02/2011
Built for Queen Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (GY564); Requisitioned by the Royal Navy as a minesweeper No. FY449

On 06/01/1916 the COURTIER struck a mine and sank in the North Sea, off Kilnsea, Yorkshire.

ref. used 
 Racey Carl, A Century of Steamship Losses


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
British Royal Navy - Admiralty - RN, London

In 1509 when Henry VIII was crowned he realised the growing navel power of King James IV of Scots. James had built an impressive fleet to control the Western Isles and was allied to France. Henry built up of his own fleet, the Navy Royal, as it was then known. New ships were constructed, the best known being the Mary Rose. Smaller types of warships (galleases) combining the best features of oars, sails and guns were also built. By Henry's death in 1547 his fleet had grown to 58 vessels.

In 1546 a 'Council of the Marine' was established which later became the 'Navy Board'. The Navy Board was in charge of the daily administration of the navy until 1832 when it was combined with the Board of the Admiralty.

Elizabeth I inherited a fleet of only 27 ships in 1558. Instead of building up her own fleet Elizabeth encouraged private enterprise against Spain's new empire. Men like Sir John Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake to command groups of Royal and private ships to attack the Spanish. When Spain threatened invasion with its Armada in 1588 the Navy of England both Royal and private defended the realm.

Early in the Seventeenth Century, larger galleons were built with heavier armaments. the largest English ship was Sovereign of the Seas built for prestige purposes by Charles I in 1637. The first ship with three gun decks to carry her 102 guns, she was the most powerful ship in the world for many years.

When King Charles II came to the throne in 1660 he inherited a huge fleet of 154 ships. This was a permanent professional national force and the beginning of the Royal Navy as we know it today.

read more
 
About Builders
 Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
Shipbuilders of Hull & Beverley 1883 -1963 Vessels built at Hull between 1885 - 1904 & Vessels built at Beverley between 1902 - 1963 -- The company was set up on the Humber Bank at Hull by William James Cook, Charles Keen Welton and William Gemmell, three former employees of Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co who set up their own company in 1882, initially to undertake repairs and then build vessels themselves. The first ship to be made by the yard was a steam fishing smack. -

The company moved to a new yard in Grovehill, Beverley in 1901; they took over the Grovehill shipyard from Cochrane, Hamilton and Cooper which had previously been owned by Cochrane and Sons. The first production of the new yard were trawlers and whalers. They dredged the River Hull, allowing larger ships to be built. -

During WWI Tugs, minesweepers and anti-submarine patrol boats were the main ships built for the War effort. In the 1920s the yard consolidated its reputation for building high quality trawlers and continued to do this during the inter war years. During the WWII the yard's output consisted of trawlers, Admiralty corvettes, landing craft, mine-layers and anti-submarine trawlers.After the war, the yard focussed on trawlers again along with a few tugs. -

The Grovehill shipyard continued to be busy. In 1954 the comany had workforce of 650. It was reported that 15 vessels were launched in 1954, five more than in the previous year. They included three minesweepers, four trawlers, and a tug: they were typical of the orders being received by the yard at that time. At least three of the trawlers launched in 1954 and 1955 were exported to South Africa. -

For many years, the chairman of Cook, Welton and Gemmell was Harold Sheardown, a Hull businessman who was also vice-chairman of the Kingston Steam Trawler Co., which was one of the best customers of the Beverley shipyard. In 1963 the yard struggled to find orders and was closed under the Cook, Welton and Gemmell name on 31st March 1963. Soon after the yard was purchased by Charles D. Holmes and Co. The company name was changed to Beverley Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd. This was in turn taken over by Whitby Shipyard Ltd on 1 July 1976

read more

Holmes C. D. & Co. Ltd., Hull
In 1869 Charles D. Holmes was founded in Hull as marine engineering company.

In 1959 the company was privatized.

During the 1960's the company built tugs for the Humber fleet, as well as companies from further. The company were general marine engineers, boiler makers, welders, metal sprayers, and makers of marine diesel engines with 400 employees. In 1963 purchased the yard of Cook, Welton & Gemmel.

During the 1970s the yard made more tugs for the Navy, BP and the Iranian Government. The yard was acquired by the Drypool Group in 1975 and after building one further ship, went into liquidation again.

read more
 
 
British Isles
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
HMT Courtier (FY449) (+1916)
British Isles
More charts
Humber River Humber Approaches Flamborough Head - Blakeney Point North Sea - Central Part North Sea - Southern Sheet British Isles British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: