british Furness Withy & Co. Ltd. (Neptune Steam Nav. Co., Norfolk & North American Steam Shipping Co., Hessler Shipping Co.) SS Point Pleasant Park (+1945)
report an error
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1943
is nickname no
weight (tons) 7136  grt
dimensions 134.6 x 17.4 x 10.6 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 505  n.h.p.
speed 11  knots
yard no. 548
call sign
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 23/02/1945  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.9rank: 654
about people
Davie George T. & Sons Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Lauzon (Quebec)
engine by
Dominion Engineering Works, Montreal
Furness Withy & Co. Ltd. (Neptune Steam Nav. Co., Norfolk & North American Steam Shipping Co., Hessler Shipping Co.), London
captain Owen Owens
no. of crew 58
about the wreck
depth (m.) 4500 max. / -- min. (m)
war grave
entered by Claes Johnny
entered 15/10/2007
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 14/12/2011
[1] Lettens Jan04/04/2013
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
  copyright: South Africa Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
insert new picture
  Hydrographic Service UK  
Claes Johnny15/10/200723/02/45: Sunk by torpedo from U-510 commanded by Alfred Eick, in the Atlantic, North West of Capetown (position 29.42S/09.58E) whilst sailing independently on a voyage from St John New Brunswick to Cape Town and Durban via Trinidad with general cargo. The Master, Captain Owen Owens and 19 crew landed at Mercury Island on 02/03/45 and taken by fishing boat to Luderitz, SW Africa. Twenty-nine crew were rescued by SAN trawler AFRICANA north of Spencer Bay on 04/04/45 and were landed at Walvis Bay, SW Africa.

Nine crew were lost.
Allen Tony04/04/2013SS Point Pleasant Park was torpedoed by German submarine U-510 on the 23rd February 1945 when on route from Saint John for Cape Town.
Lettens Jan04/04/2013UK hydro member
ref. used: 
 UK Hydrographic Office

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Owners
Furness Withy & Co. Ltd. (Neptune Steam Nav. Co., Norfolk & North American Steam Shipping Co., Hessler Shipping Co.), London

Offices in West-Hartlepool, later London. Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd. was formed in 1891 by the merging Christopher Furness with shipbuilders Edward Withy & Co. The flag continued in use until 1949, when the a swallowtail with the circle and white "F" in the canton was added.

In 1878 Thomas and Christopher Furness commenced shipowning, in 1883 Christopher Furness purchased an interest in the shipyard of Edward Withy and in 1884 bought the company outright. In 1885 Christopher Furness collaborated with Thomas Wilson to form the Wilson-Furness Line to operate services between Newcastle and New York.

By 1891 the fleet contained 18 ships and Furness, Withy & Co was founded. The first subsidiary company was formed in 1892 as the Chesapeake & Ohio Steamship Co. Ltd and a joint service to Boston was started with Frederick Leyland & Co. In 1896 the Wilsons & Furness-Leyland Line was formed.

A new firm, Manchester Liners Ltd was formed in 1898 and the rights of the Canadian & Newfoundland SS Co, were acquired the same year. The Wilsons & Furness-Leyland Line with their London - New York service was sold in 1901 to the International Mercantile Marine Co., but in 1902 Furness, Withy purchased Gulf Line Ltd with their trade to South Africa and Australia.

Management of Neptune S.N. Co. was taken over in 1906 and the fleet was purchased in 1910. The same year, Agincourt SS Co. and Norfolk & North American Steam Navigation Company were acquired. In 1911 a 50% holding in Houlder Bros & Co. was purchased plus the coastal London Welsh SS Co. 1912 saw the purchase of George Warren's White Diamond Steamship Company. and a new company, George Warren & Co. (Liverpool) Ltd was formed.

A half share in Johnston Line was purchased in 1914 and in 1916 Prince Line Ltd was bought. By this time the Furness, Withy group owned 215 ships.

read more
About Builders
 Davie George T. & Sons Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Lauzon (Quebec)
The Davie shipyard was founded by Captain Allison Davie in 1825, although the construction record starts in 1897. The company has changed ownership more times than anyone can count. It was originally called George T. Davie & Sons, changing its name to Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing in 1914. The Davie family sold it to Canada Steamship Lines in 1929 and started another George T. Davie shipyard immediately next door. In 1976, Power Corporation, the owners of CSL, sold it to Societé de Construction Navale, (Soconav), which had been established for this purpose by four employees of Marine Industries Ltée, with the financial backing of the Quebec Government’s Societé Générale de Financement, (SGF). In 1981, the company was sold to Dome Petroleum, and in 1985 it was sold to Versatile Corporation, and the name changed to Versatile Davie Inc. In 1987 it was sold to MIL and became MIL-Davie. In 1996 it was sold to Dominion Bridge Corporation and the name changed to Davie Industries, Inc., but went into trusteeship in 1998. It was sold again in 2000 and became Industries Davie, Ltd. In 2006, it was sold to Norwegian interests and became Davie Yards, Inc.

read more
The World
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
SS Point Pleasant Park (+1945)
The World
More charts
Walvis Bay to Maputo South Atlantic Ocean Antarctic Region The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: