british Bullard, King & Co. SS Umona (+1941)
report an error
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1910
is nickname no
weight (tons) 3767  grt
dimensions 108.5 x 13.6 x 7.9 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
armament armed merchantship
power 497  n.h.p.
speed 13  knots
yard no. 630
IMO/Off. no. 129142
call sign
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 30/03/1941  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.102rank: 530
about people
Laing James & Sons Ltd. (Sir James Laing & Sons), Sunderland
engine by
Clark George Ltd., Sunderland
Bullard, King & Co., London
captain Peckham, Frederick Arthur Baden
complement 8
no. of crew 85
no. of passengers 14
about the wreck
depth (m.)
war grave
entered by Allen Tony
entered 12/10/2007
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 29/04/2013
Allen Tony12/04/2009
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
 copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Chipchase Nick  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu    
insert new picture
Allen Tony12/10/2007Umona SS was a British Cargo Steamer built in 1910 and of 3,767 tons. She was owned by BULLARD, KING & CO LTD. NATAL LINE OF STEAMERS.

On the 30th March 1941 when on route from DURBAN and WALVIS BAY for FREETOWN and LONDON carrying a cargo of 50 tons pulse, 47 tons jam, 1,549 tons of maize she was torpedoed by U-124 and sunk.

From a total crew 107, 102 crew were lost. She was lost 90 miles SW of FREETOWN.
ref. used: 

insert new history
insert new document
About Builders
 Laing James & Sons Ltd. (Sir James Laing & Sons), Sunderland
Philip Laing started his own yard in 1818 at Deptford. In 1844 James Laing took control of the Deptford yard. In 1849 Philip Laing, James Laing's son, joined the family firm. In 1853 James Laing was the first Wear shipbuilder to build an iron steam ship. James Laing Junior joined the family firm. By 1865 the Laing family were shipowners as well as builders. In 1871 Hugh Laing, son of James Laing Snr, joined the family business and became a Director of the yard. In 1898 the company was renamed Sir James Laing and Sons. During WWI the yard had five building berths and a graving dock arranged around the the inner side of the bend of the river at Deptford. It had the highest tonnage of any Wear yard between 1914-18 with 18 ships of 109,924 tons as well as six small naval craft. In WWII World the Deptford yard produced 41 ships, 32 of which were tankers between 1939 and 1946. Private orders were also manufactured along with eight tramps. There were five building berths operating at the end of the war. The Laing yard became the Deptford yard of the Doxford and Sunderland Group in 1966.

read more

Clark George Ltd., Sunderland
George Clark of Southwick Engine Works, Crown Road, Southwick, Sunderland
The World
pref. Google
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
SS Umona (+1941)
The World
More charts
Freetown to Luanda North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part South Atlantic Ocean The World
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: