italian SS Laura Corrado (+1941)
report an error
nationality italian
purpose transport
type tanker
propulsion steam
date built 1899
is nickname no
weight (tons) 3645  grt
dimensions 102.3 x 13.7 x 8.6 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 326  n.h.p.
speed knots
yard no. 569
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 30/03/1941  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
Laing James & Sons Ltd. (Sir James Laing & Sons), Sunderland
engine by
Clark George Ltd., Sunderland
last owner
[1]Societa Anonima di Navigazione Corrado, Genoa
SS Laura Corrado (+1941)
period 1930 ~ 1941
prev. owners
[2]British Tanker Co. Ltd. (Bp), London
SS British Duke
period 1917 ~ 1930
[3]Lane & Macandrew Ltd. - Petroleum S. S. Co., London
SS Terek
period 1899 ~ 1917
about the wreck
depth (m.)
war grave
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 20/10/2010
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 26/01/2011
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Chipchase Nick  
insert new picture
Lettens Jan20/10/2010HMS Rorqual patrol March 1941

On 25th March 1941, the British submarine HMS Rorqual laid a minefield west of Cape Gallo, Sicily.

On 26th March a convoy ran into it and the steamer Verde (1.432 grt) and the tanker Ticino (1.470 grt) were sunk.

On 28th March the torpedo boat Generale Antonio Chinotto also sinks in the minefield.

On 30th March Rorqual sinks the Italian tanker Laura Corrado (3.645 grt) with torpedoes and gunfire and on 31st March the Italian submarine Pier Capponi.

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Laing James & Sons Ltd. (Sir James Laing & Sons), Sunderland
Philip Laing started his own yard in 1818 at Deptford. In 1844 James Laing took control of the Deptford yard. In 1849 Philip Laing, James Laing's son, joined the family firm. In 1853 James Laing was the first Wear shipbuilder to build an iron steam ship. James Laing Junior joined the family firm. By 1865 the Laing family were shipowners as well as builders. In 1871 Hugh Laing, son of James Laing Snr, joined the family business and became a Director of the yard. In 1898 the company was renamed Sir James Laing and Sons. During WWI the yard had five building berths and a graving dock arranged around the the inner side of the bend of the river at Deptford. It had the highest tonnage of any Wear yard between 1914-18 with 18 ships of 109,924 tons as well as six small naval craft. In WWII World the Deptford yard produced 41 ships, 32 of which were tankers between 1939 and 1946. Private orders were also manufactured along with eight tramps. There were five building berths operating at the end of the war. The Laing yard became the Deptford yard of the Doxford and Sunderland Group in 1966.

read more

Clark George Ltd., Sunderland
George Clark of Southwick Engine Works, Crown Road, Southwick, Sunderland
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: