greek Hellenic Royal Navy (1863-1924 & 1935-1970) Elli (+1940)
report an error
nationality greek
purpose war
type cruiser (light)
propulsion steam
date built 1912
lifted lifted
weight (tons) 2149  grt
dimensions 98 x 12 x 4.3 m
material steel
engine Triple screw
speed 26  knots
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 15/08/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.9rank: 654
about people
New York Shipbuilding Corp., New Jersey
last owner
[1]Hellenic Royal Navy (1863-1924 & 1935-1970)
Elli (+1940)
period 1914 ~ 1940
prev. owners
[2]Chinese Government
Fei Hung
period 1912 ~ 1914
captain Hatzopoulos
about the wreck
depth (m.)
war grave yes
entered by Allen Tony
entered 10/07/2009
last update Siert Ingo
last update 09/02/2013
insert new position
  The Wreck today  
insert wreck site info
  insert new movie  
   copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
insert new picture
Allen Tony10/07/2009She was sunk during peacetime, on August 15, 1940, 8:25 am while she rode at anchor, by the Italian submarine Delfino near the island of Tinos. The Elli was in Tinos participating in the celebrations of the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos. One of the four torpedoes fired hit the Elli under the one operating boiler and she caught fire and sunk. Nine petty officers and sailors were killed and 24 were wounded.

The same submarine attempted to torpedo the passenger ships M/V Elsi and M/V Esperos anchored in the port. This attempt failed and only a section of the port´s wharf was damaged by torpedoes. Fragments of the torpedoes were recovered, and identified as Italian in origin. The Greek government however, trying to avoid a confrontation with Italy at the time, announced that the nati onality of the attacking submarine was unknown, an act that did not prevent the Greco-Italian War two months later, and did not convince the Greek people who were well aware of the real perpetrator. After war, as compensation for the sinking of Elli, Italy gave Greece the cruiser Eugenio di Savoia

insert new history
  insert new document  
About Builders
 New York Shipbuilding Corp., New Jersey
New York Shipbuilding (New York Ship) was established in 1900 by Henry G. Morse, with the financial support of Andrew Mellon and Henry Frick. It was designed as a state-of-the-art shipyard and was called New York Shipbuilding because it was originally intended to be located on Staten Island. In 1916, it was bought by American International Corp. and W. R. Grace, and expanded for the war effort, but it struggled in the post-war years and was sold to American Brown Boveri in 1925. The yard was fully operational as World War II approached and the Navy invested $25 million to expand its capability. At its peak, New York Ship employed 30,000 people. It continued in both naval and merchant shipbuilding after WWII but closed in 1967. The shipyard was just upstream from the Walt Whitman Bridge: it is now part of the Port of Camden.

read more
  Update statistics  
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
search chart:
chart catalogue
search owner/builder: