british Union Steamship Co. Of New Zealand Ltd. SS Komata (+1940)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1938
is nickname no
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 3900  grt
dimensions 109.6 x 16.1 x 7.8 m
material steel
engine 1 x 3 cyl. triple expansion engine, single shaft, 1 screw
power 516 
speed 12  knots
yard no. 564
IMO/Off. no. 157659
about the loss
cause lost gunfire - shelled
date lost 08/12/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.2rank: 667
about people
builder
Stephen & Sons Ltd., Alexander Stephen, Glasgow
engine by
Stephen & Sons Ltd., Alexander Stephen, Glasgow
owner
Union Steamship Co. Of New Zealand Ltd., London & Dunedin
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 12/05/2009
last update Allen Tony
last update 26/06/2013
 
  Position  
 
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony12/05/2009The New Zealand cargo steamer Komata SS of 3,900 grt was scuttled by the German raiders Komet and Orion on December 8th, 1940, when 20 miles East of Nauru and on a voyage from Suva to Nauru. Some survivors were picked up by the raider.

insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Stephen & Sons Ltd., Alexander Stephen, Glasgow
Alexander Stephen and Sons Limited, often referred to simply as Alex Stephens, was a Scottish shipbuilding company based in Linthouse, Govan in Glasgow, on the River Clyde. Alexander Stephen, a member of the third generation of the family, merged the Aberdeen and Arbroath businesses in 1828 and then, after closing the Aberdeen yard in 1829, moved production to the Panmure yard in Dundee in 1842. In 1850 part of the business was transferred to Kelvinhaugh yard, now known as Yorkhill Quay, near Glasgow. The Arbroath yard finally closed in 1857. Then in 1870 the business moved to Linthouse near Glasgow.

In a tragic disater in 1883, the Daphne, a steamer, capsized after its launch from the yard, and 124 workers lost their lives. The Dundee shipyard was sold in 1893. In 1968, Stephens was incorporated into Upper Clyde Shipbuilders and was closed after the latter organisation collapsed in 1971.



read more
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: