british Wilsons & North Eastern Railway Shipping Co. SS Harrogate (+1918)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1911
is nickname no
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 1168  grt
dimensions 77.75 x 11 x 4.6 m
material steel
engine triple expansion engine
power 272  n.h.p.
speed 12  knots
about the loss
cause lost foundered
date lost 20/02/1918  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
owner
Wilsons & North Eastern Railway Shipping Co., Hull
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
references
references
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 03/03/2009
last update Allen Tony
last update 21/07/2010
 
  Position  
 
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony03/03/2009The British cargo ship Harrogate SS foundered 50 miles off the coast of Norway on February 20th, 1918. She was on a voyage from Hull to Bergen carrying a cargo of coke.
ref. used 
 Hocking C., Dictionary of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
Wilsons & North Eastern Railway Shipping Co., Hull

1906-1935
 
About Builders
 Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (C. & W. Earle), Hull
Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co was the largest yard building the biggest ships on the Humber based in Hull --- The company was started in Hull in 1845 by two brothers from York, Charles and William Earle, who set themselves up as engineers and ship buiders. At times, as many as two or three thousand men were employed in shipbuilding and repair activities, including the construction of many Wilson Line vessels. The company was reconstituted as Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited in 1871 after the death of Charles and the illness of William Earle. Serious problems in the 1890s eventually led to the voluntary liquidation of the firm, which was then bought by Charles Wilson of the Wilson Line. The firm retained its name, but was wholly owned by members of the Wilson family for the rest of its existence. The trade slump of the 1920s and early 1930s led to prolonged short-time working. The yard was finally closed in 1932 when it was acquired by the National Shipbuilders Securities Limited under the national shipyard rationalisation scheme which precluded its use as a shipbuilding yard to 40 years. Nearly 700 ships had been built by the company between 1853 and 1931.

read more
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: