british Seager W. H. & Co. Ltd. SS Beatus (+1940)
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1925
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 4885  grt
dimensions 118.9 x 16.9 x 8.05 m
engine triple expansion engine
power 436  n.h.p.
speed 11  knots
yard no. 548
IMO/Off. no. 148281
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 18/10/1940  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Ropner & Sons Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
engine by
Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
owner
Seager W. H. & Co. Ltd., Cardiff
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 29/08/2006
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 05/11/2010
 
  Position  
 
Allen Tony26/06/2007
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
 
  copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Alan Betteney , Shipbuilding in Stockton and Thornaby copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony01/03/2008Beatus SS was a British cargo steamer of 4,885 tons and built in 1925 and owned by SEAGER & CO LTD, W H. TEMPUS SHIPPING CO LTD.

On the 18th October 1940 when on route from THREE RIVERS for TYNE and TEES in Convoy SC-7 and carrying a cargo of 1,626 tons steel & 5,874 tons lumber and a deck cargo of crated aircarft she was torpedoed by German submarine U-46 and sunk when about 100 miles W by S of barra Head. All 37 crew saved.
ref. used: 
  uboat.net
Lettens Jan18/10/2010CONVOY SC-12 Halifax-UK 16-19th October 1940

In total, German submarines (U-48, U-101, U-46, U-123, U-99, U-100, U-38) sank nearly 80.000 tons in just 4 days time. The ships lost were:



insert new history
 
  Documents  
 
insert new document
 
About Builders
 Ropner & Sons Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
In 1888 Robert Ropner purchased the four-berth yard from Pearse, lockwood & Co. The shipyard was to be run by his son William who had been learning the business with Richardson Duck across the river. By the end of 1889 the yard had built 4 steamers for his company, all in steel, namely: "Maltby" & "Aislaby" both 4,350 ton dwt., "Raisby" 3,300 tons dwt and "Thornaby" 2,600 tons dwt. The total output for the yard in 1889 was 29,000 tons. By 1895 the yard was the third largest in the country with an output of 50,000 tons of shipping. A major innovation for the yard was the building of the first "trunk deck" steamer the "Trunkby", launched on the 21st October 1896 (4,000 tons dwt). This was a revolutionary design patented by Robert Ropner Junior. The yard was to build a total of 44 trunk deck ships. The yard was extended over the years and in 1914 employed some 1,500 people. In 1919 the yard was purchased by a syndicate of London and Cardiff ship owners and re-named Ropner Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. (Stockton) Ltd. In Dec. 1922 this company went in to voluntary liquidation. Though ships continued to be built with the "Willowpool" being the last ship built in 1925, with a yard number of 549. The company went in to final liquidation on 7th June 1928.

read more

Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Blair & Co. was formed from the engine maker Fossick & Hackworth.
In 1855 George Blair was appointed manager and in the spring of 1865 he was made a partner and the company became Fossick, Blair & Co. when Hackworth retired. Fossick died in 1866 and the company became Blair & Co. Blair was responsible for the expansion of the works to specialise in marine engines.

At this time the company had 700 employees (later to rise to 2,000) and covered an area of seven and a half acres. The first compound marine engine on the Tees was built by Blair's in January 1869 and fitted to the "Glenmore" built by Backhouse & Dixon.

In 1884 the company produced its first triple expansion engine for the "Burgos" built by Richardson Duck. In 1887 the sheerlegs, which were to become a Stockton landmark for many years were errected at a cost of £2,695. These shearlegs were capable of lifting up to 100 tons and were sighted near the river to lift marine engines into newly built ships.

By 1914 almost 1,400 marine engines had been built. At least 340 for Pearse, and later Ropner, 240 for Richardson Duck and 103 for Thomas Turnbull at Whitby. A total of 75 engines were built during the First World War.

The company was taken over by Gould Steamships and Industrials in 1919.

read more
 
 
British Isles
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
SS Beatus (+1940)
British Isles
More charts
Banks West of the Hebrides Scotland to Iceland British Isles British Isles Western Approaches British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part Arctic region The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: