british Court Line Ltd. - P. E. Haldinstein - Haldin & Philipps SS Arlington Court [+1939]
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1924
status
live live
details
weight (tons) 4915  grt
dimensions 120.9 x 16.2 x -- m
engine Steam triple expansion engine.
power 414  n.h.p.
speed 11  knots
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 16/11/1939  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Workman, Clark & Co. Ltd., Belfast
owner
Court Line Ltd. - P. E. Haldinstein - Haldin & Philipps, London
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 28/08/2006
last update Allen Tony
last update 30/10/2008
 
  Position  
 
Lettens Jan01/10/2009
latitudeUK hydro member
longitudeUK hydro member
AISUK hydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 

Lettens Jan01/10/2009

UK hydro member
ref. used 
 UK Hydrographic Office


insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu  
 
insert new picture
 
  Hydrographic Service UK  
   
  History  
 
Allen Tony26/06/2007Arlington Court was a British cargo steamer of 4,915 tons and built in 1924 and owned by COURT LINE LTD. On the 16th November 1939 when on route from ROSARIO for HULL carrying a cargo of 7340 tons of maize she was torpedoed by U-43 and sunk. 5 crew lost.
Lettens Jan04/04/2013UK hydro member
ref. used 
 UK Hydrographic Office


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
Court Line Ltd. - P. E. Haldinstein - Haldin & Philipps, London

Court Line was formed in London in 1905 by Philip Haldinstein with the purchase of one tramp steamer. By 1908 with the improvement in freight rates, more ships were ordered. During the Great War, Philip changed his name to Haldin, due to the public backlash against German sounding names. In the 1920s the fleet expanded quickly and by 1926 owned 26 ships. Laurence Philipps joined the company in 1929 to form Haldin & Philipps until 1948 when he retired and the company reverted to Haldin & Co.
Most of the fleet was laid up in the depression of the 1930s. At the outbreak of WWII, 24 ships were owned, but 13 of these were lost to enemy action. After the war, a rebuilding program was instituted, but by 1957 with a severe drop in freight rates, the building program stopped and several of the older ships were sold. The company then entered the bulk carrier and tanker trade, but by then Court Line had diversified away from shipping, notably into airlines, shipbuilding and ship repairing. These activities brought large cash flow problems and in 1974 the company went into liquidation and the remaining ships were sold.


read more
 
 
British Isles
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
SS Arlington Court [+1939]
British Isles
More charts
English Channel Western Approaches Gulf of Biscay British Isles British Isles Western Approaches British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: