british Nisbet George & Co. (Nisbet, Calder & Co., Clydesdale Navigation Co. Ltd.) SS Blairlogie [+1939]
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion steam
date built 1929
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 4425  grt
dimensions 115.9 x 15.9 x 7.6 m
material steel
engine 3 Cyl. Triple expansion engine by Blair & Co., Stockton-on-Tees, England., single shaft, 1 screw
power 373  n.h.p.
speed  
yard no. 225
IMO/Off. no. 148310
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
other reasons gunfire - shelled
date lost 11/09/1939  [dd/mm/yyyy]
about people
builder
Craig, Taylor & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
engine by
Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
last owner
[1]Nisbet George & Co. (Nisbet, Calder & Co., Clydesdale Navigation Co. Ltd.), Glasgow
SS Blairlogie [+1939]
period 1936 ~ 1939
IMO/Off. no.: 148310
prev. owners
[2]Hinde W. E. & Co - McNeil, Hinde & Co., Cardiff
SS Grovedene
period 1935 ~ 1936
IMO/Off. no.: 148310
[3]Hinde W. E. & Co - McNeil, Hinde & Co., Cardiff
SS Portfield
period 1929 ~ 1935
IMO/Off. no.: 148310
captain
about the wreck
depth (m.) 2300 max. / -- min. (m)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 09/05/2006
last update Allen Tony
last update 02/09/2013
 
  Position  
 
[1] Lettens Jan05/12/2008
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
 
  copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Chipchase Nick    
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony26/06/2007Blairlogie was a British steam freighter built in 1929. She was formerly called GROVEDENE (1936) and PORTFIELD (1935). She was owned by CLYDESDALE NAVIGATION CO LTD and was on route from PORTLAND (MAINE) for LANDS END, Cornwall awaiting then further Port instructions. She was carrying a cargo of scrap iron and steel when she was torpedoed and sunk by gunfire from U-30. All the crew were rescued.

insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Craig, Taylor & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Construction of the yard was started in June 1884 when a seven acre sight was taken over by G B Craig and Thomas Herbert Taylor. The first ship built for this company was the "Saint Andrew" in 1885. One of the main type of ships built at this time were oil tankers, these were so designed that if the oil trade failed they could easily be converted to a normal cargo ship. By 1900 the yard had expanded to 12 acres and employed 1000 people at 6 berths. By 1908 the sight consisted of 8 berths, capable of building ships up to 7,500 tons . Over the years the yard continued to expand until the recession hit in the late 1920s. The last ship launched being the "Portregis" in December 1929 with a yard number of 227. The yard finally closed in 1931. Under the name "Stockton Construction Co." the yard was used during the Second World War to assemble a total of 238 tank landing craft which were pre-fabricated at other yards on the Tees.

read more

Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton-On-Tees
Blair & Co. was formed from the engine maker Fossick & Hackworth.
In 1855 George Blair was appointed manager and in the spring of 1865 he was made a partner and the company became Fossick, Blair & Co. when Hackworth retired. Fossick died in 1866 and the company became Blair & Co. Blair was responsible for the expansion of the works to specialise in marine engines.

At this time the company had 700 employees (later to rise to 2,000) and covered an area of seven and a half acres. The first compound marine engine on the Tees was built by Blair's in January 1869 and fitted to the "Glenmore" built by Backhouse & Dixon.

In 1884 the company produced its first triple expansion engine for the "Burgos" built by Richardson Duck. In 1887 the sheerlegs, which were to become a Stockton landmark for many years were errected at a cost of £2,695. These shearlegs were capable of lifting up to 100 tons and were sighted near the river to lift marine engines into newly built ships.

By 1914 almost 1,400 marine engines had been built. At least 340 for Pearse, and later Ropner, 240 for Richardson Duck and 103 for Thomas Turnbull at Whitby. A total of 75 engines were built during the First World War.

The company was taken over by Gould Steamships and Industrials in 1919.

read more
 
 
The World
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
SS Blairlogie [+1939]
The World
More charts
Outer Approaches to the North Channel Western Approaches British Isles North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: