british Thomas Hamling & Co. Ltd. FV St. Nidan (H412) [+1939]
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose fishing
type trawler
propulsion steam
date built 1937
status
live live
details
weight (tons) 565  grt
dimensions 52.5 x 8.9 x -- m
engine triple expansion engine
power  
speed 11  knots
yard no. 620
IMO/Off. no. 164999
about the loss
cause lost gunfire - shelled
date lost 28/10/1939  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties 0
about people
builder
Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
engine by
Holmes C. D. & Co. Ltd., Hull
owner
Thomas Hamling & Co. Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
captain
no. of crew 15
about the wreck
depth (m.) 110 max. / -- min. (m)
orientation
protected
war grave
updates
entered by Allen Tony
entered 23/04/2006
last update Allen Tony
last update 08/05/2012
 
  Position  
 
[1] Lettens Jan01/10/2009
latitudeUK hydro member
longitudeUK hydro member
AISUK hydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 

Lettens Jan01/10/2009

UK hydro member
ref. used
 UK Hydrographic Office


insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
copyright: UK Hydrographic Office
 
 copyright: UK Hydrographic Office copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu 
 
 copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu   
 
insert new picture
 
  Hydrographic Service UK  
   
  History  
 
Allen Tony09/11/2011On the 29th October 1939 the FV St. Nidan (H412) was attacked and sunk by German Submarine U59 off Shetlands - The St. Nidan was homeward bound from the fishing grounds when she was stopped by U59, the U Boat commander ( Commander Jurst ) told Skipper Nightingale "It is not you fellows we want; it's Chamberlain" the crew of the St Nidan took to their lifeboat as the U59 fired 23 shells into the StNidan the crew were picked up by the Grimsby Trawler Lynx II.

Both crews then had to take to the lifeboats as the U59 also sank Lynx II the Grimsby vessel. Both crews were eventually picked up by the Hull Trawler Lady Hogarth who landed them in Scotland.
Lettens Jan01/10/2009UK hydro member
ref. used: 
 UK Hydrographic Office


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Builders
 Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd., Beverley (Hull)
Shipbuilders of Hull & Beverley 1883 -1963 Vessels built at Hull between 1885 - 1904 & Vessels built at Beverley between 1902 - 1963 -- The company was set up on the Humber Bank at Hull by William James Cook, Charles Keen Welton and William Gemmell, three former employees of Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co who set up their own company in 1882, initially to undertake repairs and then build vessels themselves. The first ship to be made by the yard was a steam fishing smack. -

The company moved to a new yard in Grovehill, Beverley in 1901; they took over the Grovehill shipyard from Cochrane, Hamilton and Cooper which had previously been owned by Cochrane and Sons. The first production of the new yard were trawlers and whalers. They dredged the River Hull, allowing larger ships to be built. -

During WWI Tugs, minesweepers and anti-submarine patrol boats were the main ships built for the War effort. In the 1920s the yard consolidated its reputation for building high quality trawlers and continued to do this during the inter war years. During the WWII the yard's output consisted of trawlers, Admiralty corvettes, landing craft, mine-layers and anti-submarine trawlers.After the war, the yard focussed on trawlers again along with a few tugs. -

The Grovehill shipyard continued to be busy. In 1954 the comany had workforce of 650. It was reported that 15 vessels were launched in 1954, five more than in the previous year. They included three minesweepers, four trawlers, and a tug: they were typical of the orders being received by the yard at that time. At least three of the trawlers launched in 1954 and 1955 were exported to South Africa. -

For many years, the chairman of Cook, Welton and Gemmell was Harold Sheardown, a Hull businessman who was also vice-chairman of the Kingston Steam Trawler Co., which was one of the best customers of the Beverley shipyard. In 1963 the yard struggled to find orders and was closed under the Cook, Welton and Gemmell name on 31st March 1963. Soon after the yard was purchased by Charles D. Holmes and Co. The company name was changed to Beverley Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd. This was in turn taken over by Whitby Shipyard Ltd on 1 July 1976

read more

Holmes C. D. & Co. Ltd., Hull
In 1869 Charles D. Holmes was founded in Hull as marine engineering company.

In 1959 the company was privatized.

During the 1960's the company built tugs for the Humber fleet, as well as companies from further. The company were general marine engineers, boiler makers, welders, metal sprayers, and makers of marine diesel engines with 400 employees. In 1963 purchased the yard of Cook, Welton & Gemmel.

During the 1970s the yard made more tugs for the Navy, BP and the Iranian Government. The yard was acquired by the Drypool Group in 1975 and after building one further ship, went into liquidation again.

read more
 
 
British Isles
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
FV St. Nidan (H412) [+1939]
British Isles
More charts
Orkney Islands - North-Western Approaches Western Approaches to Orkneys and Shetland Islands Scotland to Iceland British Isles British Isles Western Approaches British Isles Western Europe North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part Arctic region The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: