british Silver Line Ltd. - St. Helens Steam Shipping Co. - Stanley & John Thompson Silverbeech MV? [+1943]
report an error
       
  Details  
 
general
nationality british
purpose transport
type cargo ship
propulsion motor vessel (diesel)
date built 1926
is nickname no
status
unknown
details
weight (tons) 5319  grt
dimensions 135 x 17.7 x 7.6 m
material steel
engine Oil engine
armament armed merchantship
power 882 
speed 13.5  knots
yard no. 695
call sign
GMSX  
GMSX
about the loss
cause lost torpedo
date lost 28/03/1943  [dd/mm/yyyy]
casualties  max.59rank: 580
about people
builder
Laing James & Sons Ltd. (Sir James Laing & Sons), Sunderland
engine by
Doxford W. & Sons - William Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
owner
Silver Line Ltd. - St. Helens Steam Shipping Co. - Stanley & John Thompson, London
captain Hyem, George
complement 11
no. of crew 53
no. of passengers 3
about the wreck
depth (m.) 75 max. / -- min. (m)
orientation
protected
war grave
references
references
  uboat.net
updates
entered by Lettens Jan
entered 28/08/2008
last update Vleggeert Nico
last update 10/08/2014
 
  Position  
 
[1] Lettens Jan10/10/2010
latitudehydro member
longitudehydro member
AIShydro member
mark add position to my marks (+/-5miles)
dist. homeportdist. homeport
position disp.
show neighbour. wrecks members only
more positions
insert new position
 
  The Wreck today  
 
insert wreck site info
 
  Movies  
  insert new movie  
 
  Pictures  
 
 
  copyright: Spanish Hydrographic Institute copyright: Unknown - onbekend - inconnu copyright: Chipchase Nick 
 
 copyright: Chipchase Nick    
 
insert new picture
 
  History  
 
Allen Tony08/04/2010Silverbeech MV was a British cargo motor vessel of 5,319grt that was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-159 SE of the Canary Islands on the 28th March 1943.
ref. used 
  uboat.net
Claes Johnny27/03/2008At 14.48 hours on 28 Mar, 1943, the Silverbeech (Master Thomas George Hyem) in convoy RS-3 was torpedoed and sunk by U-159 southeast of the Canary Islands. The U-boat dived after firing a spread of four torpedoes and heard several detonations, but U-172 (Emmermann) was chasing the same convoy and was badly shaken when the ship blew up in a distance of about 2000 metres. Witte later surfaced and pa ssed a large field of debris, they also found several pieces of twisted metal on deck.

The master, 50 crew members, five gunners and three passengers were lost. Two crew members and six gunners were picked up by the British tug Empire Ace and landed at Bathurst, Gambia.
ref. used 
  uboat.net
Allen Tony19/12/2007Silverbeach MV was a British Cargo Motor Vessel of 5,319 tons built in 1926. On the 29th March 1943 when on route from LIVERPOOL & GIBRALTAR for FREETOWN & LAGOS when she was torpedoed by German submarine U-172 and sunk. 62 lost from a total 69 persons.
ref. used 
 ubootwaffe


insert new history
 
  Documents  
  insert new document  
About Owners
 
Silver Line Ltd. - St. Helens Steam Shipping Co. - Stanley & John Thompson, London

Silver Lines Ltd. was established in 1925 by Stanley & John Thompson Ltd.
 
About Builders
 Laing James & Sons Ltd. (Sir James Laing & Sons), Sunderland
Philip Laing started his own yard in 1818 at Deptford. In 1844 James Laing took control of the Deptford yard. In 1849 Philip Laing, James Laing's son, joined the family firm. In 1853 James Laing was the first Wear shipbuilder to build an iron steam ship. James Laing Junior joined the family firm. By 1865 the Laing family were shipowners as well as builders. In 1871 Hugh Laing, son of James Laing Snr, joined the family business and became a Director of the yard. In 1898 the company was renamed Sir James Laing and Sons. During WWI the yard had five building berths and a graving dock arranged around the the inner side of the bend of the river at Deptford. It had the highest tonnage of any Wear yard between 1914-18 with 18 ships of 109,924 tons as well as six small naval craft. In WWII World the Deptford yard produced 41 ships, 32 of which were tankers between 1939 and 1946. Private orders were also manufactured along with eight tramps. There were five building berths operating at the end of the war. The Laing yard became the Deptford yard of the Doxford and Sunderland Group in 1966.

read more

Doxford W. & Sons - William Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
William Doxford and Sons began in 1840 at Cox Green. William Doxford and Sons Ltd, often referred to simply as Doxford, was established in 1857 by William Doxford. From 1870 they were based in Pallion, Sunderland, on the River Wear in Northeast England. In 1904 the East Yard was built, and the 3 extra berths helped Doxford’s to win the blue riband in 1904 and 1907 for the highest production rate in the world.
The East Yard was rebuilt as a state of the art covered shipyard, which opened in 1976. Doxford’s joined Thompson’s, Laings and Greenwell’s in 1961 to form the Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding and Engineering Group. The Group was taken over in 1973 and re-named Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd. It merged with Austin and Pickersgill’s in 1986, and closed in 1988.

read more
 
 
The World
pref. Google
 
 
WRECKS: DISABLED zoom out zoom in view full chart
chart
Silverbeech MV? [+1943]
The World
More charts
Islas Canarias to Nouakchott North Atlantic Ocean - Eastern Part The World
 
 
  Update statistics  
 
  Advertisement  
 
advertise
 
   
  search  
 
You may consider access to
search wreck
show prev. names
A-Z search
 
search chart:
chart catalogue
 
search owner/builder: